GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, November 4, 2005-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: VJ Agarwal (Chair), Tom Krueger, Tom Kuffel, Yang II Park,
Kasi Periyasamy, Tiffany Rausch (Student Rep.), Dan Sutherland,
Members Excused: George Arimond, Rob Dixon
Members Absent: Tracie Blumentritt, Steve Simpson, Andrea Von Dollen (Student Rep.)
Consultants Present: Bruce May, Charles Martin-Stanley
Consultants Excused: Karen Mc Lean, Diane Schumacher, Teri Staloch
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. by VJ Agarwal (Chair).
3. A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the minutes of October 21, 2005. (6 yes, 0 no)
4. Report on Academic Initiative Oversight Committee: VJ informed the Graduate Council that he met with the Academic Initiative Oversight Committee including Mick Miyamoto and Ron Lostetter. VJ already sent a copy of the written report to all. Hearings are scheduled for November 11, 2005, time is unknown.
A draft of the Graduate Council Proposal for Academic Initiative Funds was electronically sent to all Graduate Council Members for review. The draft was discussed.
5. Appeals Process: There was a fair amount of discussion on the Academic Dismissal Appeals Document prepared last year. There was further discussion on appeals, involving time extension beyond 7+1 year.
VJ ask for volunteers to form a sub-committee to work on Time Extension guidelines. Dan Sutherland and Tom Krueger will work on the guidelines for further discussion.
6. VJ informed the Council it will be necessary to meet in January to hear several appeals that are likely to come from Physical Therapy. He asked for 3-5 volunteers for the week after Christmas to review. Kasi Periyasmy, Tom Kuffel and Michelle Thorman are available to form this committee.
7. The Academic Dismissal Appeal tentatively scheduled on November 18, 2005, is rescheduled for December 2, 2005.
Motion made, seconded and passed to adjourn the meeting. (7 yes, 0 no)
Meeting adjourned: 11:00 a.m.
c: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File