GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, April 21, 2006-10:00 a.m.
103 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: VJ Agarwal, George Arimond, Tracie Blumentritt, Rob Dixon, Tom Kuffel, Thomas Krueger, Yang II
Park, Kasi Periyasamy, Tiffany Rausch, Steve Simpson, Michelle Thorman
Members Excused: Dan Sutherland
Consultants Present: Bruce May, Karen McLean, Teri Staloch
Consultants Excused: Diane Schumacher, Charles Martin-Stanley
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:03 a.m. by Rob Dixon.
2. A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the minutes for April 07, 2006. Motion passed.
3. Graduate Student Research, Service, and Educational Leadership Grant Program; Procedures and Guidelines, page 2
Funding Maximum: A motion was made to suspend the following ruling for 2006 Spring Semester to facilitate the
payment to students who traveled before the letters of grant awards were issued and accepted. “Funds will be made
available as early as one week following notification of the awards, and project activities may begin at that time (if
compliance with regulations, where applicable, has been met). Motion passed.
4. Selection Criteria for UW-L Graduate Thesis: VJ presented a revised format for UW-L Graduate Thesis Award, this
was discussed by the Graduate Council and a motion was made to position the following criteria in the following order.
1. Impact of the study on the field and future research implications.
2. Significance and originality of contribution embodied in the thesis.
3. Quality of analysis and conclusions.
4. Work that is primarily attributed to the student’s own initiative.
5. Use of appropriate literature/resources in the field of study.
6. Quality of Organization, writing and overall presentation.
5. Graduate Faculty Membership was discussed. First, all faculty applications receiving affirmative votes by all members
of the review committees were voted unanimously for the requested Graduate Faculty Membership.
Subsequently, the Graduate Council discussed the remaining 6 applications one at a time where one of the members of
the review team had some reservations. Following the discussion, 5 of the six were elected to be in the Graduate
Faculty Membership they requested. Motion was made and passed. A motion was made to request the sixth person to
resubmit the application; the committee agreed it was incomplete. Motion passed.
CBA: 1 Full
CLS: 4 Full, 3 Assistant, 20 Affiliate
S&H: 2 Full, 3 Associate, 1 Assistant, 5 Affiliate
The Graduate Council will meet on Friday, April 28, 2006 at 10:00 a.m. in 325 Graff Main Hall.
Meeting Adjourned: 11:00 a.m.
c: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File