UW-L Faculty Senate Library Committee Meeting
Wednesday October 19, 2005
Murphy Library, Room 121
Present: Karl Kattchee (chair),William Barillas (English), Jim Batesky (ESS), Paul Beck (Murphy Library), Cynthia Berlin (Geography), Anita Evans(Murphy Library), Glenn Knowles (Economics), Darlene Lake (Modern Languages), Chia-Chen Yu (Exercise and Sports Science).
Meeting called to order at 11:05 a.m.
- Minutes approved by voice vote: May 2005 and September 2005 (with changes as noted).
- Galadriel Chilton, Murphy Library, updated the committee on library databases. She demonstrated new features of CrossSearch, formerly known as MetaLib. The goal for continued work on CrossSearch is to integrate access to information and materials. Suggestions for improvements were solicited from the committee.
- By consensus, the committee agreed that the secretary position this year will rotate each meeting.
- The committee discussed our charge from the Faculty Senate, on seeking a library fee from student differential tuition. Initial questions were raised, about the origins of this proposal and the process by which we will proceed. Chair Katchee will communicate with UW-L Chief Financial Officer Ron Losttetter and report in our next meeting.
- Director’s Report: Anita Evans spoke of a computer lab modernization grant sought by Murphy Library. The grant will update Murphy computers and printers in student use.
Meeting adjourned at 12:05 p.m.
Submitted by William Barillas