August 25, 2006
TO: Keith Sherony, Convener
Articles and Bylaws Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2006-2007 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Articles and Bylaws Committee for the 2006-07 academic year. Please share this memo with the committee members.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Articles and Bylaws Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Articles and Bylaws Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2007.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw I. D. The Articles and Bylaws Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Conducting an annual review of the Faculty Senate Bylaws and Policies, and forwarding recommended changes to the Faculty Senate.
- Conducting periodic reviews of the Articles of Organization and forwarding recommended changes to the chairperson of the Faculty Senate.
- Providing appropriate phrasing for article, bylaw and policy changes proposed to the Faculty Senate from other sources.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
· Develop and present to the senate appropriate bylaw languages to govern the Instructional Academic Staff Committee. Please plan to submit a report on this charge to faculty senate no later than November 16, 2006.
· Add “a representative from the Provost’s Office” as an “administrative consultant” to the Faculty Development Committee. Please plan to submit a report on this charge to faculty senate no later than November 16, 2006.
· Based on recommendations from the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, change the bylaws for UCC and the General Education Committee to authorize the General Education Committee to make substitutions or waivers for individual students in the General Education Program/University Core Curriculum. Please plan to submit a report on this charge to faculty senate no later than February 15, 2007.
If you have questions or concerns regarding these charges, please contact me at any time during the year.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.