October 25, 2006
To: Carmen Wilson, Chair
From: Articles and Bylaws Committee
Keith Sherony, Chair
Re: Committee Report
In its August 25, 2006 charge letter, the Articles and Bylaws Committee’s charge was to create or amend bylaw wording for three Faculty Standing Committees. A fourth charge to amend policy wording was directed to the committee in an October 17, 2006 email. What follows are the charges and the committee’s recommendations for wording that were unanimously approved at an October 20, 2006, meeting.
· Develop and present to the senate appropriate bylaw languages to govern the Instructional Academic Staff Committee.
M. The Instructional Academic Staff Committee
Duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Studying, developing, and recommending policies and procedures used in the university concerning salary, position types and titles, career progression, workload, and general working conditions for Instructional Academic Staff.
- Studying, developing, and making recommendations regarding the implementation in the university of such policies and procedures.
- Collecting and disseminating information on such policies and procedures and their implementation in the university.
Membership of the committee shall consist of nine members of the faculty and shall include at least three representatives from each of the College of Liberal Studies and the College of Science and Health and two representatives from the College of Business Administration. Committee membership may include Ranked Faculty but no more than one Ranked Faculty member from each college. The committee shall elect its chairperson.
· Add “a representative from the Provost’s Office” as an “administrative consultant” to the Faculty Development Committee.
Membership of the committee shall consist of nine faculty members. Members of the faculty who submit proposals during a given year shall not be members of the committee during that year. The committee shall elect its chairperson.
· Change the bylaws for UCC and the General Education Committee to authorize the General Education Committee to make substitutions or waivers for individual students in the General Education Program/University Core Curriculum.
8. Authorizing substitutions or waivers for individual students .
· At its October 12 meeting, Faculty Senate passed a motion to change the start date for newly elected department chairs to July 1. This required a change to the “Selection of Department Chairperson” policy wording.
V. The Selection of Department Chairpersons
C. Term of Office
1. A term of office shall be
three years subject to removal for cause. The term shall start
at the beginning of the first semester.