GEC Minutes

Monday, March 19, 2007

3:30-5:30

325 Graff Main Hall

 

Members Present:  Fields, Johnson, Kraemer, McDougal, Miller, Prucha, Ragan, Riley, Ritterling, Udermann, Bakke,

 

Consultants Present:  Bakkum, Dittman, Morgan, Burkhardt, Richter

 

Guests Present: C. Wilson, D. Sullivan, C. Lee, G. Chu, B. Clow, B. Cherne, W. Elder

 

I.                    M/S/P to approve the minutes of February 19, 2007, with corrections.

M/S/P to approve the minutes of March 5, 2007 with corrections

 

II.                 Second Reading for Writing Emphasis Certification

A.     Art and the Meaning of Maps - Greg Chu

1.      Recapped the proposal

2.      After last meetings discussion, G. Chu was willing to have the course be placed in a new category, possibly Self and Society

3.      If that happens, a new set of criteria/requirements will be needed for the course

4.      G. Chu will contact the departments who have courses in this category. He will also meet with E. Johnson to discuss his proposal

B.     Harun Rashid will be revising his proposal

 

III.               Reports:

A.     Director

1.      Sent information about the AACU conference. Shared more information about the sessions in regard to assessment. Most institutions that have a Gen Educ program had an assessment coordinator. There was also information about FYE and civic engagement.

2.      OPID conference in Madison March 23, 2007. A group from UW-L will be attending

3.      China visit was a success. Working with Chinese institutions to create a 2+2 program in English. First English cohort will be fall 2009. Also trying to develop an articulation agreement not only for English and business.

B.     Chair

1.      Attended the Faculty Senate meeting March 8, 2007 with C. Prucha, P. Riley, R. Ragan, and B. Udermann. The amendment failed 15-6. A motion for a timeline for assessment was passed. C. Wilson shared the charge letter from the faculty senate with the committee. A timeline for systematic assessment is due April 9, 2007.

C.     Student – No report

 

IV.              Assessment Discussion:

A.     Nominations for a subcommittee to work on the assessment timeline

1.      B. Riley and R.Ragan would serve.

2.      C. Wilson would invite members from each college’s assessment team to be part of this committee.

3.      The subcommittee would meet with E. Johnson and E. Kraemer

B.     Key features of assessment program

1.      Course assessment

2.      Program assessment

3.      Discussion about revolving themes for assessing the program took place

4.      Using a national assessment tool was discussed, i.e. Collegiate Learning assessment

 

V.                 Discussion: Implementation of Tier I

A.     GEC Tier I Subcommittee        

1.      Subcommittee is still meeting

2.      Will have a report by the next meeting

B.     Charges of Tier I Subcommittee

1.      Need for subcommittee of feasibility of Tier I -

B. Udermann, R. Ragan, R. Sullivan would serve

2.      Concern about the Board of Regents meeting next month

C.     Time Line

1.      Discussion about Tier I already having been approved occurred.

2.      E. Johnson and E. Kraemer would meet to write a plan about Tier I. This would be in place of having a subcommittee.

 

VI.              Due to time the rest of the agenda was not discussed

 

VII.            M/S/P to adjourn the meeting at 5:25 p.m. The next meeting will be held on April 2, 1007 at 3:30 p.m.

 

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lauren Cikara