GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, November 17, 2006-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Vijendra Agarwal, Lauren Cikara, Peggy Denton, Yang Il Park, Kasi Periyasamy, S.N. Rajagopal, David Reineke, William Schwan, Steve Simpson
Members Excused: Tim Donahue, Gary Gilmore, Teri Staloch
Members Absent: Jonathan Majak
Consultants Present: Chris Bakkum, Lise Graham, Rob Tyser
Consultants Absent: Diane Schumacher
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:02 am. by Bill Schwan
2. A motion was made by David Reineke and seconded by S.N. Rajagopal to approve the minutes for the November 3, 2006 meeting. (7 yes, 0 no, 1 abstention)
- The Council may need to meet regarding Academic Appeals from Health Professions students. The affected program will update Vijendra Agarwal if an appeal or appeals will need to be heard. A meeting time of 10:00 a.m. on January 4, 2007 has been tentatively set.
4. The Graduate Council received recommendations from the RSEL Grant Committee.
- The RSEL Grant Committee included Steve Simpson, Lauren Cikara, Gary Gilmore, and Teri Staloch.
- Steve Simpson made a motion to approve the 12 applications that the Committee recommended to fund. It was seconded by S.N. Rajagopal. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)
- Steve Simpson made a motion to approve partial funding for one student. The Committee recommended that the Council not fund payments or incentives paid to research subjects. It was seconded by Peggy Denton. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)
- The Council discussed the issue of paying of subjects for their participation in research projects. Good arguments were made on either side of the issue. Vijendra Agarwal indicated he would come back to the Council with language that could be included or modified for the 2007-2008 RSEL Grant guidelines. For now, no funding may be used for this purpose.
- Steve Simpson made a motion to approve partial funding for another student. The Committee recommended partial funding because the budget summary did not support the amount being requested. It was seconded by S.N. Rajagopal. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)
- The Council revisited the issue of the “old” RSEL guidelines and deadlines appearing on the website. An “orphan document” was available to individuals who had saved it as a favorite. The document has been removed from the server. S.N. Rajagopal made a motion to allow those 5 students (3 from Biology, 1 from Learning Communities, and 1 from Human Performance) who had contacted the Graduate Studies Office regarding the deadline to be given a deadline of December 1st to turn in their applications. The same motion extends the deadline for the 3 applications that the Committee did not feel they could recommend without getting more information from the students. It was seconded by David Reineke. (9 yes, 0, no, 0 abstention)
- Steve Simpson made a motion to not fund the project of one student. It was seconded by S.N. Rajagopal. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)
- Steve Simpson provided members of the Council a list of suggestions from the RSEL Grant Committee for future applications that will be distributed to the graduate program directors. It will be send out by Vijendra Agarwal with a request for feedback and suggestions. Also discussed was the need to remind students of their obligation to make a presentation on campus regarding their research projects. Vijendra Agarwal advised the Council that a statement reminding students of this requirement would be included in the award letters.
5. Bill Schwan provided the Council a brief outline of the items to be covered at the December Graduate Council meetings.
- December 1st—GRC 799 policy
- December 15th—remaining RSEL grant applications and one Graduate Faculty application.
Meeting adjourned: 11:08 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File