GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, September 22, 2006-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: Vijendra Agarwal, Peggy Denton, Tim Donahue, Gary Gilmore, Jonathan Majak, Yang Il Park, Kasi Periyasamy, S.N. Rajagopal, David Reineke, William Schwan, Steve Simpson
Members Excused: Lauren Cikara, Teri Staloch
Consultants Present: Chris Bakkum, Lise Graham, Diane Schumacher, Rob Tyser
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:04 am. by Bill Schwan.
2. A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes for the September 22, 2006 meeting. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention). Motion carried.
3. Time extension appeal by Science and Health/Biology program student .
- Bill Schwan and Vijendra Agarwal gave an overview of the appeal. The student is requesting a second extension. This is for an additional year to complete thesis work. The student’s thesis advisor was Dan Sutherland, who passed away during the spring semester. The student is now working with a new faculty member, has a draft copy of the thesis completed and expects to defend it thesis within the 2006-7 academic year. Council asked questions and clarifications from Bill Schwan. A motion was made by Gary Gilmore to approve the request to extend for one academic year, ending in May 2007. It was seconded by Tim Donahue. The Council voted to approve the appeal for the extension. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention)
4. Vijendra Agarwal, Director of Graduate Studies, made several announcements.
- New members: Lauren Cikara and Tim Donahue are the two student representatives. David Reineke joins us as chair of the Graduate Curriculum Committee, and Lise Graham has replaced Bruce May as the representative from CBA.
- The deadline for RSEL grants is October 13, 2006.
- The Graduate Council and Graduate Program Directors will have a joint meeting to address various issues. Two dates (November 3rd and 17th) were proposed. As some members would have a conflict with November 3rd, the date was tentatively set as November 17th.
- Professional Travel Grants deadline was last Friday, September 15th. The amount requested is $2190, but only $1500 is available. The Graduate Council Advisory Committee, which was formed later in the meeting, will review those applications and presenting their recommendations at the October 6th Graduate Council meeting.
5. Further discussion of the Faculty Senate Charge to the Graduate Council. The December deadline for a report was discussed. A motion was made by Gary Gilmore to request an extension until March for a full report on graduate recruitment and to supply the Faculty Senate with a verbal status report in December. It was seconded by David Reineke. The council voted to approve the time extension request. (11 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention).
Two subcommittees were established: one will look at recruitment while the other will focus on the problems faced by graduate students. The following committees will work with Vijendra Agarwal:
- The subcommittee looking at recruitment will be Peggy Denton and Lauren Cikara. An additional member will need to come from the Council. Roger Haro, who is well versed with Plan 2008, will be invited to participate.
- The subcommittee looking at the problems facing graduate students will be Tim Donahue, Gary Gilmore, and Kasi Periyasamy.
6. The formation of a Graduate Council Advisory Committee was discussed. The committee will be meeting to provide advice to the Director of Graduate Studies on matters that require “collective wisdom”. There was some concern as to what the exact mission of the committee would be. This committee will handle reviewing applications for Professional Travel Grants and may include review of graduate policies, such as academic dismissal appeals, time extension appeals, and GRC 799 policies. S.N. Rajagopal made a motion to create this committee, with one of its first charges to be the development of its own mission. It was seconded by Tim Donahue. (9 yes, 0 no, 0 abstention).
7. Two additional subcommittees were created.
- The Graduate Faculty Membership Committee will consist of David Reineke, William Schwan, Yang Il Park, Chris Bakkum, Teri Staloch, and S.N. Rajagopal.
- The RSEL Grants Committee will consist of Steve Simpson, Teri Staloch, and Gary Gilmore. The student member serving on this committee will be Lauren Cikara.
Meeting adjourned: 11:08 a.m.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File