International Education Committee
Minutes of Meeting #3
Date: November 8, 2006 (Wed)
Members Present: Hench, Howard, McAndrews (Chair), Reithel, Seiber (OIE).
Absent: Ahmed, Beck (Student Rep), Devine, Marcias-Gonzalez, Poulton, Rizvi (Student Rep).
Guests: Burt Altman
1. Meeting was called to order by Chair McAndrews at 7:45 am in Room 432 Carl Wimberly Hall.
2. Tabled: Approval of minutes of October 11, 2006 due to lack of quorum.
3. Report: Burt Altman informed the committee of the Learning in Retirement trip to India that is scheduled for 10/30/07-11/16/07. Sponsored by UW-L Continuing Education this program is affiliated with the Elderhostel Institute Network. Although this trip is non-credit bearing and thus not under the official auspices of the IEC, a thorough itinerary was provided for this trip.
4. Seiber introduced the topic of whether zero credit international tours should be handled by the OIE or Continuing Education. Since these trips are for current students the committee suggested that the OIE is the best office to oversee these tours.
5. Report: Chair McAndrews reported that Faculty Senate accepted the “Guidelines for International Study Tour Programs” generated by the IEC.
6. The following change to the current guideline for study tours was discussed and agreed upon:
An ongoing international study tour program is a program that has been approved and has been successfully implemented at least twice in the past four years. If there are significant changes in this proposal from the original program, contact the chair of the International Education Committee to determine if it still qualifies as an ongoing program.
An ongoing international study tour program is a program that has been approved and has been successfully implemented at least once in the past four years. If there are significant changes in this proposal from the original program, contact the chair of the International Education Committee to determine if it still qualifies as an ongoing program.
7. Discussion: That the IEC should contact the OIE and the faculty proposing a study tour as soon as possible regarding the decision of the IEC concerning a proposed study tour. It was suggested that the following should be added to the cover sheet of the study tour proposal:
8. Report: Chair McAndrews reported on his conversation with Lisbeth Reynertson concerning the needs of international students on campus. One concern was that international students cannot use the resources provided by OMSS and other state funded offices for tutoring or note taking. A privately funded tutoring program was suggested. A discussion of on-line surveys for determining the success of UW-L’s support of international students was tabled.
Next meeting December 13, 2006, 7:45.
Respectfully submitted by David Howard