International Education Committee
December 13, 2006 Minutes
Present: McAndrews, Chair; Ahmed; Hench; Koppelman; Reithel; Rizvi
Absent: Berry; Devine; Macias-Gonzalez; Poulton
Consultants: Kraemer; Lokken; Sieber, Reynertson
- The meeting was called to order at 7:50 am. Kent Koppelman took the minutes. Minutes for the October 11 and November 8 meetings were approved.
- The chair introduced the issue of defining and determining an approval process for an ongoing program. Committee members agreed that ongoing programs did not need annual approval. We also discussed what would constitute a significant change in a travel program that would require submission of a new proposal.
- The Committee agreed that we should develop a simple form to be submitted by ongoing programs. McAndrews will draft a form to submit to the committee at a future meeting.
- The Office of international Education (OIE) representatives asked the committee if they felt they should monitor noncredit trips, especially those involving service learning. The committee discussed this issue.
M/S/P that all UW-La Crosse study abroad experiences including noncredit and service learning experiences submit a proposal for review by the International Education Committee.
Sieber agreed to draft a form that could be used by noncredit proposals. She will submit this to the committee for approval at a future meeting.
- The committee discussed a survey sent with the agenda for this meeting that would assess the needs of international students at UW-La Crosse. Rizvi noted that he was involved in a student survey of international students for a class, and Lokken suggested that the OIE could make copies of this survey’s findings available to committee members. It was suggested that the committee meet with the officers of the International Student Organization to discuss their perceptions of needs of international students on our campus. Lokken suggested meeting for lunch on a Friday and that OIE would pay for the food. The committee will send representatives to serve as a subcommittee and report back to the full committee.
- Meeting was adjourned at 8:50 am. Next meeting is on Feb. 14 at 7:45 am in Room 432 Wimberly Hall.