Scholarship & Awards Committee Meeting – February 28, 2007, 4:30 pm
Present: John Colton, Mary Anderson Leonard, Jeff Boyle, Abdulaziz Elfessi, Jess Hollenback, Janet Kirsch, Kathy Majewski, Ryan Klein (student member), Konrad Liebseit (student member), Barb Katrana (UWL Foundation Scholarship Coordinator).
Absent: Greg Balfany, Bryan Kopp, Kelly Walt (student member).
1) Meeting called to order at 4:30 pm.
2) Minutes from 9/20/06 meeting were approved (all in favor).
3) Discussed questions for Thrune interview & decided upon the following:
a) Tell us about yourself.
b) What are your passions / interests outside of school?
c) Who is your hero / role model? Why?
d) Why did you choose UWL?
e) What book have you read recently (not assigned at school) that has had an impact on your life? Why?
f) What are you most looking forward to about coming to college?
g) Tell us about something you’ve done that demonstrated leadership.
h) If you were made supreme leader of your high school, what is something you would change to provide a better learning experience?
We decided to be flexible with questions, to make for a more conversational / less intimidating interview.
4) Held Thrune interviews with 2 high school students from Brookwood High School. Barb Katrana did not participate in the interviews or the discussion afterward.
5) Discussed interview candidates & selected the recipient of the Thrune scholarship. (8 in favor, 1 undecided)
6) Reviewed deadlines. Submit rankings for other scholarships to John Colton by Monday March 5. Next meeting will be Wednesday March 7, at which time we will rank the applicants for the remaining scholarships.
7) Meeting adjourned at 5:25 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Kathy Majewski on March 1, 2007.