Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS)
Minutes for November 9, 2007 Draft
Members present: J. Boyle, M. Cary, R. Gillis, D. Hammen, R. Haro, R. LeDocq, J. Rome, J. Shadforth, J. Shanks, S. Trimborn (for S. Navarre)
Members absent: D. Lake, C. Lee, S. Navarre
Consultants: C. Bakkum, C. Burkhardt, A. Dittman, G. Herling, S. Keller, K. Kiefer
1. Meeting called to order at 2:18 p.m. by Chair LeDocq.
2. M/S/P (10/0/0) to approve CAPS minutes from 10/26/07.
3. The committee considered a proposal for determining commencement honors for dual-degree students. C. Bakkum presented background and rationale for the proposal.
M/S/P (10/0/0) Bachelor’s degree commencement/graduation honors for students in dual degree programs follow current policy and will be calculated on undergraduate GPA in undergraduate resident credits. Graduate credits will not apply.
4. The committee discussed the possibility of revising the current policy on credits allowed by examination and retroactive credits. The committee considered whether there should be changes made to the maximum credits one may earn in these ways. In the discussion it was noted that, in contrast to UW-L, many UW system schools have no credit limit. There was some discussion of the integrity of such credits, as well as discussion of the potential lack of clarity in the current policy. It was decided that R. Haro and J. Shadforth would serve as a subcommittee of CAPS to further evaluate the current policy on examination and retroactive credits and to propose potential changes to this policy.
5. Chair LeDocq was appointed by the committee to serve as the CAPS representative to the Enrollment Management Committee.
6. Meeting adjourned at 3:27 p.m.
Melanie Cary, Co-Secretary