Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS)
Minutes for September 21, 2007
Members present: J. Boyle, M. Cary, R. Gillis, D. Hammen, R. Haro, R. LeDocq, S. Navarre, J. Rome, J. Shadforth, J. Shanks
Members excused: D. Lake, C. Lee,
Consultant: T. Thill
1. Meeting called to order at approximately 2:20 p.m. by Chair LeDocq.
2. M/S/P (10/0/0) to approve CAPS minutes from 3/30/07.
3. M/S/P (10/0/0) to approve CAPS minutes from 8/29/07.
4. For new student members, Chair LeDocq discussed the responsibilities of CAPS and charges from the Senate Executive Committee. She also reviewed the rationale for the 2006-2007 CAPS recommendation for a standing meeting time.
5. M/S/P (10/0/0) The committee recommends that, beginning fall 2008, CAPS have a standard meeting time of Friday at 2:15.
6. The committee discussed the SEC charge to Create a matrix showing the likelihood of admission using trend data and data from the most recent classes. The discussion considered several aspects of this charge, including consideration of which variables should be included in the matrix, which applicants would be included in the sample that yields the reported likelihood values, and whether additional information could or should be provided on the admission information page.
7. The committee had a brief informal discussion regarding a J-term appeal. It was deemed that additional information was required before the appeal could be formally considered.
8. Meeting adjourned at approximately 3:15 p.m.
Melanie Cary, Co-Secretary