August 13, 2007
TO: Bart VanVoorhis, Convener
Research and Grants Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2007-2008 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Research and Grants Committee for the 2007-08 academic year.
In response to concerns that, frequently, committee member turnover each year tends to slow committee work, the senate executive committee is working to find better ways to orient new committee members. Additionally, we would like to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work. To that end, we will be trying several new ideas.
- The Senate Executive Committee will be holding a meeting of conveners at 11:00 a.m. on Monday, August 27 in 325 Graff Main Hall. Please plan on attending this meeting if possible. An agenda will follow.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
- I am including a copy of the 2006-2007 Research and Grants Committee end-of-year report with this charge letter, as well as a list of last year’s committee members. The SEC strongly encourages you to invite past members to the first committee meeting of the year to review their work in the previous year.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Research and Grants Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Research and Grants Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2008.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. Q. The Research and Grants Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Establishing written guidelines and screening and selection procedures for research proposals.
- Establishing written procedures for evaluating and ranking research proposals.
- Receiving and evaluating research proposals from members of the faculty.
- Apportioning institutional funds for research.
- Advising the coordinator of gifts and grants in the solicitation of grant monies.
- Providing the UW-L Foundation with a list of committee faculty members from which it may select advisory members for its Grants and Review Committee.
Although no special charge is being given to the committee this year, should the membership wish to bring any policy issues to the attention of the senate, it should certainly do so. Any recommendations that the committee would like to make to the senate should be submitted to our office in a timely fashion.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.