To: Carmen Wilson, Chair, and Faculty Senate
From: Mary Leonard, Chair of the Scholarship and Awards Committee – 2007-2008
Re: Scholarship and Awards Committee Final Report
- The Scholarship and Awards Committee
consisted of the following members:
- Faculty: Mary Leonard Anderson, Greg Belfany, Bradley Butterfield Al Gedicks, Jon Hassenbank, Janet Kirsch, Kathryn Majewski, Heather Mortell
- Students: Alexandra Vang, Valentine Sackmaan
- Nonvoting: Sara Olson (UWL Foundation Scholarship Coordinator)
- Mary Leonard served as Chair and Bradley Butterfield served as secretary
- The following members were not present at any meetings and did not participate in the ranking process: Greg Belfany, Kathryn Majewski, Alexandra Vang
- The Committee met four times during the year:
§ September 28, 2007 – Initial organizational meeting
§ February 8, 2008 – Establish timelines for reviewing scholarship files
§ March 7, 2008 – Ranking of all applicants/ establish interview questions
§ March 12, 2008 – Conduct Thrune Scholarship interviews
- The following scholarships and awards were handled by the committee:
§ Lebieck Sholarship
§ McIlraith Scholarship
§ Xcel Energy Scholarship
§ Murphy Award
§ Fred Singer Scholarship
§ Michael Skemp Scholarship
§ Thrune Scholarship
§ Harold Weisse Scholarship
- The committee adhered to the following procedures:
§ The committee established a two-person subcommittee responsible for reviewing the two scholarships with the most applicants – McIlraith and Lebiecki.
§ Jon Hassenbank created a ranking form sent out to all committee members. The rankings were then compiled and distributed prior to the final meeting. This was a very helpful system that aided in the decision process.
§ The Thrune Scholarship interviews were held at a separate meeting.
§ Sara Olson provided the committee with the various criteria for all of the scholarships and this was very helpful. I feel that it was very important to remind committee members to pay close attention to the specific criteria for each scholarship.
A final Reflection: We lost some members along the course of the school year for a variety of reasons. At this point it was too late to replace them. The remaining group members dedicated themselves to the task at hand and were a very pleasant group to work with. I appreciated the experience I gained from working on this committee.
Department of Theatre Arts