Meeting of the
Faculty Senate General Education Committee
November 19, 2007
325 Main Hall
Meeting convened at 3:37pm
Members Attending: Michael Current, Jon Fields, Eric Fuhrmann, Anne Galbraith (presiding), Eric Kraemer, Adrienne Loh, Tom Pribek, Cris Prucha, Robert Ragan, Don Sloan
Guests & Consultants: Chris Bakkum, Terry Beck, Carla Burkhardt, Amelia Dittman, Emily Johnson, Betsy Morgan, Leslee Poulton
M/S/P, approve minutes of 11/5/07 as written, voice vote, unanimously
Discuss Writing emphasis Instructor approval form for Larry Forkash, Department of Educational Studies; request a rubric to detail item #5 of Formal writing, & re-schedule action for next meeting
Presentation of new GE course, RUS 305, by Leslee Poulton
- literature taught in context of history & culture, the Golden Age
- clarify/revise the new LX 140, "Promotion of GE" with this proposal as a test: "How will the instructor convey the importance of this course as a component of the GE program?"
- clarify intent of Assessment section of Table 1, section D, of LX-140 form
- revisions to be submitted & GEC will vote by email or next meeting
- questions of whether course will attract & be appropriate for all students: Should it have a designation/recommendation for who should take it (preparation & background)?
Discussion of Glossary of Terminology to accompany LX 140 forms, on new GE Webpage; remove ref. to LX 140 in title; some punctuation revising, wording still in progress & may be amended once on-line
M/S/P; as amended, unanimous voice vote
Report of Faculty Senate discussion of Assessment Plan
- tabled by Senate over questions of committee structure & co-ordinator & referred to SEC;
- GEC members expressed willingness to review proposal again
- GEC members expressed approval for establishing Committee because "we cannot move forward with curriculum if we're doing the assessment work"
What does the Board of Regents want by its Feb 2008 deadline for a report?
Could we do a trial case of asking a dept. to identify SLOs for its GE courses?
Discussion of new charge from chair of Faculty Senate
Meeting adjourned at 5:30pm
Notes compiled by Tom Pribek