Meeting of the

Faculty Senate General Education Committee

November 5, 2007

325 Main Hall

 

Meeting convened at 3:35pm

 

Members Attending: Michael Current, Jon Fields, Eric Fuhrmann,Anne Galbraith (presiding), Eric Kraemer, Adrienne Loh, Tom Pribek, Cris Prucha, Robert Ragan, Don Sloan

 

Guests: Chris Bakkum, Carla Burkhardt, Billy Clow, Amelia Dittman, Deb Hoskins, Betsy Morgan, David Riley, Carmen Wilson

 

 

M/S/P, approve minutes of 10/29/07, voice vote, unanimously

 

 

Carmen Wilson, Faculty Senate chair, spoke to explain & answer questions about latest draft on assessment for Gen. Ed. f/ATF, revised in response to suggestions/comments from GEC

 

 - Assessment Co-ordinator & SEC will jointly appoint Assessment Advisory Committee (AAC), from faculty who apply; membership then to be approved by Senate

 

 - AAC will report to various committees and offices but does not answer directly to Senate, like those selected by Senate Committee on Committees

 

 - Membership appropriated among colleges; phased in terms of 5 years each

 

 - GEC will receive data from the AAC and maintain responsibility for program decisions

 

 - Co-ordinator will be hired before AAC begins data collection & packaging

 

Committee Discussion:

 

 - Potential Power of AAC, a "top-down" process

 - Honorarium for serving on AAC

 - Establishing AAC (from existing ATF) before hiring co-ordinator so to participate in selecting co-ordinator and to start process quicker

 

M/S/P, with amended language: "SEC will review applications & appoint members of the AAC in consultation with the coordinator" and with additional suggestions for establishing AAC before hiring co-ordinator and for offering stipend to members; voice vote to approve - 1 opposed, 1 abstained

 

 

Preview & discussion new GE web page (not yet on line), suggested additions & format tinkering

 

 

Further discussion of Gen Ed. survey results: committed to a process of acquiring assessment data & making program changes; what do we do in the meantime?

 

 - Desire for more detail: what do instructors like/dislike about

   current program?

 

 

Meeting adjourned 5:40pm

 

Notes compiled by Tom Pribek