Graduate Council Minutes
Tuesday, February 29, 2008
Members Present: VJ Agarwal, Ashley Burrows, Rob Dixon, Tim Donahue, Jonathan Majak, Ashley Olson, Kasi Periyasamy, , S.N. Rajagopal, David Reineke, Michele Thorman, Bill Schwan, Betty DeBoer (Alt)
Members Excused: Tom Kuffel
Consultants Excused: Ray Abhold, Chris Bakkum, Lise Graham, Charles Martin-Stanley
Others Present: Gary Gilmore
1. Meeting called to order at 10:02 am by Bill Schwan.
2. There were no Graduate Faculty memberships from CBA to review. Therefore, Bill Schwan re-appointed Tom Kuffel and David Reineke to be on the Thesis Awards committee. The thesis must be from May or December 2007.
3. Motion (Tim Donahue/David Reineke) to convene in a closed session to consider personal academic information for a student who is appealing an academic dismissal from a graduate program as provided in section 19.85 (1)(f) of Wisconsin Statutes. Roll Call vote was unanimous.
a Motion (David Reineke/Ashley Burrows) to return the appeal to the program level for review. (9-1-1; Passed)
b Recommendations for the program to consider in the review:
i. The composition of the team to ensure that the same individuals are not on the grade appeal and dismissal appeal committees. Faculty representatives can be outside of the department.
ii. When the decisions have great impact to a student there should be greater and meticulous due diligence to the faculty bylaws and the rights of the student. The Graduate Studies Appeals Process can serve as a model.
iii. Medical evidence as provided by the student as a mitigating factor for a potential future plan. June 30, 2008 was viewed as a reasonable time frame for the student to produce this information.
iv. Encourage more details for the graduate committee to consider in the decisions so that if there is an appeal, we can understand the basis of the original denial.
4. Motion (Ashley Burrows/David Reineke) to move out of closed session.
5. Everyone is encouraged to attend the Research Celebration on March 7.
6. At a future date, The Graduate Studies Appeal process will need to be revisited.
7. Meeting concluded at 11:50 am.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File