Graduate Council Minutes
Friday May 2, 2008
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: VJ Agarwal, Ashley Burrows, Rob Dixon, Tim Donahue, Gary Gilmore, Jonathan Majak, Ashley Olson, Kasi Periyasamy, S.N. Rajagopal, David Reineke, Bill Schwan, Michele Thorman
Members Excused: Tom Kuffel
Consultants Present: Ray Abhold , Lise Graham, Charles Martin-Stanley
Consultants Excused: Chris Bakkum
Guests: Mike Kennedy
Meeting called to order at 10:00 am by Bill Schwan.
- Approval of the April 4, 2008 minutes with corrections (MSP)
RSEL Grant Proposal Review
- Gary Gilmore reviewed the proposals for the larger committee.
- Six proposals out of 11 proposals were funded. . Two of these projects were reduced in funding due to return rates on surveys that would decrease the amount of postage required.
- Three proposals were not funded because the faculty letter of support was not included in the student requests.
- Two proposals were not funded because of unclear goals or an under-developed proposal.
- Some recommendations for the future included: having all components of the proposal typed, the faculty letter of support should provide insights into the uniqueness of a proposal, there should be consistency within the document and finally the support for funds to use for posters to present work should be encouraged.
- Motion to fund the specific projects was from the RSEL committee. Passed 11-0-1
to convene in a closed
session to (a) consider personal academic information for a student who is
appealing an academic dismissal from a graduate program, (b) consider
graduate faculty applications, and (c) consider information for waiving of
graduate assistant requirements as provided in section 19.85 (1)(f) of
Wisconsin Statutes. Roll Call vote was unanimous.
- Grad Faculty applications from the College of Liberal Studies
i. Motion (Gilmore/Reineke) to approve Richardson (Full), Walsko (Full), Kranz (Affiliate), Hippert (Assistant), Finco, B (Affiliate), Gunderson (Affiliate), Miyamoto (Associate), Wallace (Assistant), Steward (Affiliate) and DeBoer (Full); (12-0-0)
ii. Motion (Dixon/Gilmore) to approve Hoskins (Associate); (12-0-0)
iii. Motion (Dixon/Gilmore) to approve Brauer (Affiliate), Kirk (Affiliate), Richards (Affiliate), Bakken (Affiliate), Finco, F (Affiliate), Ferguson (Affiliate); (11-1-0)
iv. Motion (Dixon/Donahue) to approve Rindt (Full); (10-2-0)
- Waiving Graduate Assistant Requirements
i. Mark Sandheinrich presented on behalf of the student
ii. Donahue moved for a second reading
- Dismissal Appeal
i. Discussion on potential conflict of interest, role of the department chair in appeals, procedural points, various letters of correspondence
ii. Duquette invited to participate in some of the discussion as department chair
iii. Motion (Dixon/Rajagopal) to delay the appeal until the procedural process is worked out. (10-0-0)
iv. No further motions
- Meeting Adjourned approximately 12:30 pm.
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File