Minutes of the Instructional Academic Staff Career Progression Committee
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
7:00 am, 150 Murphy (GCA classroom)
Present: George Arimond, Ashley Burrowes, Elise Denlinger, David Howard (Chair), Tom Reinert, Melissa Wallace (Secretary).
- Approval of minutes. Minutes for 02/06/08 were not offered for approval. Follow up in next meeting.
- Schedule future meetings. Due to time constraints, our Chair suggested that we choose future meeting dates at a later time and proceed directly to the organization and use of the D2L site for evaluating candidates for career progression.
- Introduction to organization and
use of D2L site.
The majority of the meeting was spent exploring the D2L site which we will
use to evaluate candidates for career progression.
- It was noted that for some candidates, it was not readily obvious which rank they currently held and which rank they were applying for.
- David will randomly assign us candidates to represent in our discussion meeting.
- David reminded us of upcoming deadlines, as follows:
a. March 26th or 27th: Scores must be loaded into D2L
b. March 27th or 28th: Discussion meeting (expected to last about 2 hours)
c. March 29th or 30th: yes/no votes due into D2L site
d. April 1st: Reconsideration meeting
e. April 3rd: Final reconsideration, with yes/no votes due to D2L
f. April 4th: Final recommendations are due to the Faculty Senate Office.
- Decide on the use of evaluation worksheets. In consideration of several attachments forwarded by David, there was a general consensus regarding placing special importance on candidates’ teaching merits, with scholarship and service to be considered together. According to the Guide to IAS Career Progression and Portfolio Development, a “successful candidate for career progression” need only have a “solid record of professional development/creative activity/scholarship and/or service.” (p. 2, under “Overview”).
- Address other questions about evaluation process.
- Meeting was adjourned at 7:40 am.