Minutes of the Instructional Academic Staff Committee
Friday, September 7, 2007
8:30 Room 116 Cowley Hall
Present: Sue Anglehart, Elise Denlinger, Peggy Denton, Barbara Gander, Kerrie Hoar, Glenn Knowles, Sandy Koster, Don Socha
Absent: Michael Durnin
1. Update on questions about Digital Measures: Betsy Morgan indicated that the JPC wants a minimum of the past 3 years of work to be uploaded into Digital Measures. A limit of 10 attachments is given for each of the three areas (teaching, scholarship and service). A note was made to check the accuracy of the TAI (teaching load) in previous semesters.
2. Our committee has two focuses: the Procedure for career progression and the Criteria for what goes into the portfolio for career progression. We will look at criteria first.
3. There are three places to get starting point information:
a. Refer to the list from 3/23/07 minutes (4.c.) and Appendix A page 3 of the 2006 IAS report to senate.
b. Look at other sister school websites
c. look at JPC guidelines and modify them
4. A mistake was noticed in Appendix A of the IAS report. The grid indicates years of service by full time semesters. HR is not tracking % appointment as the number of semesters of employment only indicates that you are eligible to apply for career progression. Years of service alone is not enough to secure a promotion in title. The full time status should have been removed from Appendix A. Kerrie will check into this. Also, the F07 contracts did not contain a “years of service” line, rather, HR will send a separate letter to all IAS with this information by the end of September, 2007.
5. Modification of JPC guidelines began on page 5 of 32 from the senate bylaws document. The following changes will be made throughout the document:
a. JPC will be changed to CPC (career progression committee) – the shortened version of IAS CPC
b. departmental promotion and tenure committee will be changed to department
c. scholarship will be changed to professional development/scholarship
d. we need a definition of professional development to lead off a section parallel to 188.8.131.52 describing faculty scholarship. Can use our definition from Appendix C.
6. Sue will provide a edited copy of the first part of the JPC’s document and Peggy will provide an edited version of the scholarship section. We can complete that on Sept. 14 and move on to the service section.
7. The next meeting is scheduled for 8:30 am on September 14.
Meeting adjourned at 9:45
Respectfully submitted by Suzanne Anglehart