September 3, 2008
TO: Kenny Hunt, Convener
Graduate Curriculum Committee
FROM: Joe Heim, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2008-2009 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Graduate Curriculum Committee for the 2008-09 academic year.
In response to concerns that, frequently, committee member turnover each year tends to slow committee work, the senate executive committee is working to find better ways to orient new committee members. Additionally, we would like to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work. To that end, we will be trying several new ideas.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
- I am including a copy of the 2007-2008 Graduate Curriculum Committee end-of-year report with this charge letter. The SEC strongly encourages you to review their work.
- All members of your committee will receive an electronic copy of this charge letter.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the GCC, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the GCC activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2009.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. J. The Graduate Curriculum Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
1. Receiving, reviewing and acting on proposals for curricular changes from the various academic departments and graduate programs.
2. Initiating, developing and recommending changes in the design of curricula for experimental and research purposes.
3. Informing department chairpersons/program directors, in writing, of proposals being considered that relate to experimental curricula or their programs, thus providing adequate opportunity for departments/programs to be heard prior to committee and senate action on such proposals.
4. Evaluating various curricular proposals by an established set of criteria, taking into consideration the needs of students and of society, the mission of the university, the necessity for quality programs, and the ability of the department and college to meet the resource needs of the proposal.
5. Coordinating the various curricula through formal consultation with the academic departments, graduate programs, and the Academic Program Review Committee.
6. Publishing the agenda of regularly scheduled meetings in the university newsletter.
Although no special charge is being given to the committee this year, the committee is asked to work closely with the Registrar on policy changes that are associated with the new Student Information System (SIS) to ensure a smooth transition from the old to the new system. Whenever possible, policies should be made effective consistent with the start of the new undergraduate catalog, Fall 2009. Also, should the membership wish to bring any policy issues to the attention of the senate, it should certainly do so. Any recommendations that the committee would like to make to the senate should be submitted to our office in a timely fashion.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact me at any time during the year. Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.
cc: Members, Graduate Curriculum Committee