September 9, 2008
TO: David Koster, Convener
Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee
FROM: Joe Heim, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2008-2009 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee for the 2008-09 academic year.
In response to concerns that, frequently, committee member turnover each year tends to slow committee work, the senate executive committee is working to find better ways to orient new committee members. Additionally, we would like to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work. To that end, we will be trying several new ideas.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
- I am including a copy of the 2007-2008 Promotion, Tenure, and Salary Committee end-of-year report with this charge letter. The SEC strongly encourages you to review their work in the previous year.
- All members of your committee will receive an electronic copy of this letter.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the PTS Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the PTS Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2009.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. P. The Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
1. Studying and recommending policies and procedures used in the university concerning salary, promotion, and tenure.
2. Collecting and disseminating information on procedures employed within the university in matters concerning promotion, tenure, and salary.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
- Review the current pay plan, retention and recruiting statistics to determine if you would recommend any modifications of current pay plan formulae (including the Chancellor’s use of discretionary 10%).
- Review data related to possible pay compression to determine if any recommendations are appropriate.
- Review the policy of not linking tenure with promotion to determine if this policy is appropriate.
Please plan to submit a report on these charges to faculty senate by March 1, 2009.
If you have questions or concerns regarding these charges, please contact me at any time during the year. Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.
cc: Members, PTS Committee