September 4, 2008
TO: Bart VanVoorhis, Convener
Research and Grants Committee
FROM: Joe Heim, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2008-2009 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Research and Grants Committee for the 2008-09 academic year.
In response to concerns that, frequently, committee member turnover each year tends to slow committee work, the senate executive committee is working to find better ways to orient new committee members. Additionally, we would like to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work. To that end, we will be trying several new ideas.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
- I am including a copy of the 2007-08 Research and Grants Committee end-of-year report with this charge letter. The SEC strongly encourages you to review their work.
- All members of your committee will receive an electronic copy of this letter.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Research and Grants Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Research and Grants Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2009.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. Q. The Research and Grants Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
1. Establishing written guidelines and screening and selection procedures for research proposals.
2. Establishing written procedures for evaluating and ranking research proposals.
3. Receiving and evaluating research proposals from members of the faculty.
4. Apportioning institutional funds for research and informing grant recipients of their awards.
5. Providing applicants who did not receive grant money reasons for denial.
6. Advising the coordinator of gifts and grants in the solicitation of grant monies.
7. Providing the UW-L Foundation with a list of committee faculty members from which it may select advisory members for its Grants and Review Committee.
In addition to the committee’s normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
- Review last year’s committee recommendations regarding a $5000 stipend in lieu of the 1/9th of salary grant.
- In advertising grant opportunities, make clear that this committee does not fund international travel. These grant requests should be directed to the Office of International Education.
Any recommendations that the committee would like to make to the senate should be submitted to our office by March 1, 2009.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.
cc: Members, Research & Grants Committee