September 9, 2008
TO: James Pierce, Convener
Undergraduate Research Committee
FROM: Joe Heim, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2008-2009 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Undergraduate Research Committee for the 2008-09 academic year.
In response to concerns that, frequently, committee member turnover each year tends to slow committee work, the senate executive committee is working to find better ways to orient new committee members. Additionally, we would like to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work. To that end, we will be trying several new ideas.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
- All members of your committee will receive an electronic copy of this letter.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Undergraduate Research Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Undergraduate Research Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2009.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
According to Faculty Senate Bylaw II. U. The Undergraduate Research Committee, the duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
1. Establishing written evaluation procedures and criteria for funding undergraduate research proposals.
2. Establishing written procedures for applying for undergraduate research funds.
3. Publicizing the availability of undergraduate research funds and the procedures for applying for those funds.
4. Receiving and evaluating research proposals from undergraduate students.
5. Apportioning institutional funds for undergraduate research.
6. Advising the coordinator of gifts and grants in the solicitation of grant monies to support undergraduate research.
7. Planning and conducting an annual Undergraduate Research Day, as well as other means of disseminating undergraduate research results.
Although no special charge is being given to the committee this year, should the membership wish to bring any policy issues to the attention of the senate, it should certainly do so. Any recommendations that the committee would like to make to the senate should be submitted to our office in a timely fashion.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this charge, please contact me at any time during the year. Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.
cc: Members, Undergraduate Research Committee