Faculty Development Committee Meeting
Minutes for Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Members present: M. Cary, V. Crank, G. Cravins, S. Dickmeyer, K. Kattchee, J. Kirsch, B. Rusterholz, S. Scherwitz (left early), S. Verrall
Consultant: B. Cerbin
1. Meeting called to order at 2:19 p.m. by Chair Kattchee.
2. The Committee approved the minutes of the October 22, 2008 meeting.
3. Chair Kattchee informed the Committee that the software included in the budget in the D. Thoune proposal is available on campus at no additional cost to Thoune.
M/S/P Revise funding for Thoune proposal to $1,000.
4. M/S/Failed Approve and fully fund the S. Docan-Morgan proposal.
5. M/S/Failed Approve and fully fund the J. Arney & B. Udermann proposal.
6. The Committee summarized the approved funding for the Fall 2008 proposals. The total funds approved are $18,684.
7. There was much discussion regarding the possibility of UW-L establishing a teaching center. During the discussion, B. Cerbin summarized what is available at some other UW system schools and what is currently in place at UW-L. Several aspects of a potential teaching center at UW-L were considered, including the importance of utilizing individuals at UW-L with relevant experience, providing resources related to assessment of student learning, providing support for teaching and evaluating student writing, and the Quality piece of Growth, Quality, and Access as it pertains to mentoring of newer faculty.
M/S/P Faculty Development Committee supports the idea of establishing a teaching center at UW-La Crosse.
8. Meeting adjourned at 3:20 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Melanie Cary