Meeting of the
Faculty Senate General Education Committee
February 16, 2009
325 Main Hall
Meeting convened at 1:15pm
Members Attending: Michael Current, Anne Galbraith(presiding),
Jon Fields, Tom Gendreau, Erik Kahl, Eric Kraemer, Tom Pribek,
Cris Prucha, Bob Ragan, Don Sloan
Guests & Consultants: Chris Bakkum, Carla Burkhardt, Linda Dickmeyer, Amelia Dittman, Bob Hoar, Jim Putz
food: pan-cake w/frosting
M/S/P, minutes of 2/2/09; voice vote, unanimous
M/S/P, after discussion, to waive 2nd reading & approve revised CST 110, GE 1. A.; voice vote, 1 opposed
- presented by Dickmeyer & Putz
- modernize course to the “hybrid orientation,” which includes public speaking
- not just speech communication: speaking, interpersonal, and group & team comm.
(2 stand-up independent speeches, research & library work, plus group presentation
w/all members speaking)
- can easily be adapted for first-year experience; common course syllabus
Discussion: Do we need a Course Deletion form?
- official notification to dept.s affected
- provide permanent record
Review revised form and e-vote (unanimously e-approved by 2-27-09)
Discussion: Phasing out Honors - what should Deb Hoskins do for GEC?
- send Deletion form(s) as package
- dept.s need to re-write LX forms to offer existing course
(10-15 courses in GE)
Inquiry & Discussion: Could ARC 200 fit into International category? B.1.
- sure, apply, & consider B.1 or B. 2.
Meeting adjourned, 2:50pm
Notes compiled by T. Pribek