UW-L Faculty Senate Library Committee Meeting
February 20, 2009
In Attendance: Paul Beck (Library), Barb Bennie (Mathematics), Matthew Foltz (Graduate Student Representative), Tim Gerber (Chairperson, Biology), Donald Kuderer (Modern Languages), Stephen McDougal (Political Science / Public Administration), William Ross (Management), Shauna Sallmen (Physics)
Consultant: Anita Evans (Murphy Library Director)
- Meeting called to order at 2:15 pm
- The minutes from the Dec. 19, 2008 meeting were approved (8-0-0).
- Discussion of “LibQUAL+” survey longitudinal results. John Jax and
Michael Current highlighted similarities and differences between the 2004
and 2008 survey responses. The survey results offer some guidance on where
to focus library efforts to better meet the needs and expectations of
- Library staff is meeting with physical plant staff to start a conversation about adding more study space.
- Plans are in place to add signage to reinforce quiet designated areas.
- With Murphy Library’s current flat budget, addressing the concern brought up in the survey about access to print and/or electronic journals is not feasible in the near term.
- Update on differential tuition and DIN funding. Anita Evans informed the committee that the differential tuition request that was put together by the committee and approved by student senate last semester will not move forward. Additionally, the DIN (Decision Item Narrative) requesting a $6 million infusion into the system for library use in the 2009-2011 biennium will not move forward.
- Potential funding from the Academic Initiatives Oversight Committee (differential tuition) to add 3 to 4 hours per week to library hours was mentioned by Anita Evans.
- Discussion of library collections. John Jax commented briefly on journal pricing and how compromises and cuts are being made to make Murphy Library’s static budget work.
- Future meeting dates were chosen:
- Meeting adjourned at 3:15 pm.