Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee (PTS)
Minutes for December 4, 2008
Members present: Achenreiner, Cashion, Cooper, Delgado, Fater, Headington, Koster, Krajewski, Ritterling
Members absent: None
1. Meeting called to order at 4:05 p.m.
2. M/S/P to approve the minutes of the 11/6/2008 meeting.
3. M/S/P to make the following recommendation on the policy of separate decisions for tenure and promotion:
The Promotion, Tenure and Salary committee reviewed the policy of not linking tenure with promotion. Consistent with similar conclusions reached by previous PTS committees on this issue, the 2008-2009 PTS committee determined that this policy is appropriate and does not currently merit revision.
4. Subcommittee on salary compression presented its report.
M/S/P to accept the subcommittee’s report for presentation to the Senate, as well as its conclusion:
Salary compression is a very real and difficult problem facing all UW–L colleges.
5. Subcommittee investigating pay plan, retention, and recruitment reported that it is continuing to seek data. Regarding retention, the lack of a consistent exit interview mechanism is likely to result in incomplete and inconclusive data.
6. Committee agreed to retain the present meeting time (Thursday at 4:00) during spring semester.
7. Meeting adjourned at 4:50 p.m.
Mark Headington, Rotating Secretary