Minutes Academic Planning Committee (APC) September 17, 2009
The first meeting for the academic year 2009-2010 was called to order by Convener Steve Senger at 8:55 a.m. September 17, 2009 126 Wing.
Members present: Senger, Kastantin, Seebach, Yu, Sudhakaran, Jessee, Czerwinski
Members excused from this meeting due to conflicts: Frye, Sinclair.
1. MSP Senger was elected Chair .
2. MSP Kastantin was elected Secretary.
3. Chair Senger read the Faculty Senate Charges for the year.
4. Minutes are to be sent to Sylvia (Sibbie) Weathers as soon as available so that she can post them on-line. It is noted that these minutes will be in draft form until subsequently approved by APC, usually at the next meeting. This was discussed and regarded as not being problematic except that if the minutes are revised prior to approval by APC the approved version should also be sent to Sibbie to replace the draft.
5. Chair Senger discussed the APC web page. It presently contains the charge, minutes of prior meetings, procedures for APC processing of new program (including program revisions) and program eliminations. The page also includes some flow charts that may differ from those depicted on the UW System web page. Chair Senger will look into this matter.
6. Chair Senger mentioned that the APC definition of an on-line course that was approved and submitted as part of the committee’s final report to Faculty Senate was questioned with respect to the meaning of “face-to-face.” The question was resolved without any further action by APC.
7. It is not possible for all 9 committee members to be present at the same meeting time. Two members, Frye and Sinclair, at this point are unable to attend meetings at 8:50 a.m. on Thursdays. Nonetheless the consensus of the 7 members present was to set the normal meeting time and date as 8:50 a.m. on Thursdays. Chair Senger will discuss this with the 2 members who have conflicts with this time/date.
7. Next meeting 8:50 a.m. Thursday October 1, 2009 room to be announced. The agenda will include both the recurring charges of APC and the additional charges for this academic year.
8. Meeting adjourned at approximately 9:35 a.m.
Respectfully submitted in DRAFT
Joseph T. Kastantin, Secretary
September 17, 2009