August 17, 2009
To: Sandra Grunwald, Convener
Academic Program Review Committee
From: Becky LeDocq, Chair
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Academic Program Review Committee for the 2009-10 academic year.
In an effort to better orient new committee members and to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work, the Senate Executive Committee (SEC) is incorporating the following ideas.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of conveners at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, September 1 in 325 Graff Main Hall. Please plan on attending this meeting if possible. If you are unable to attend, please send another representative from your committee. An agenda will follow.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Academic Program Review Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
· promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
· organizing and conducting meetings.
· completing a year end report on the Academic Program Review Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2010.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
· recording minutes of each meeting.
· promptly sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
- Review the role of the Provost in the Academic Program Review process. Consider whether the Provost, in addition to the appropriate Dean, should be able to review the proposal and provide suggestions prior to the final report being sent to APR. Please plan to provide a report to faculty senate at the October 1, 2009 meeting.
- Review existing criteria to determine whether they are sufficient to evaluate program progress in assessing general education courses or any program that may include the use of online courses. Please plan to provide a report to faculty senate at the October 29, 2009 meeting.
- Determine how to incorporate departmental progress on assessment into the review process. Consider requiring the departmental self-study to use assessment results to document student achievement, identify need for improvement and describe efforts to address improvement. Please plan to provide a report to faculty senate at the January 28, 2010 meeting.
- Review the table requested in Part A of the Fiscal Information that is required in the "Unit Data Sheets" portion of the self study (see http://www.uwlax.edu/facultysenate/40th/Handouts/1-26/APR%20Unit%20Data%20Sheets.htm ) and consider revising it. Requirements from national accrediting bodies could perhaps be used for guidance. This charge comes as a result of recent issues with completing the table. Given the way the budget and accounting systems are constructed, some of the data in the table are not easy to extract with a confident level of accuracy. Please plan to provide a report to faculty senate at the March 11, 2010 meeting.
If you have any questions about the charges, please feel free to contact me.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.
cc: Academic Program Review Committee Members