Meeting of the Faculty Senate
General Education Committee
325 Main Hall
December 7, 2009
Meeting convened at 3:35pm, Galbraith presiding
Attending: Michael Current, Anne Galbraith, Tom Gendreau, Jean
Hindson, Gerald Iguchi, James Pierce, Tom Pribek, Robert Ragan,
Guests & Consultants: Chris Bakkum, Amelia Dittman, Troy Richter
M/S/P, Minutes of 11/30/09, correcting attendance (Tim Walls
for Troy Richter); voice vote, unanimous
“Tiering” amendment to GE, final Language: “Students must complete ENG 110 CST
110, and a general education Math course prior to earning 60 total degree credits”
Memo f/CLA Assessment Comm.
- recommend changing timeline of submitting instruments & assessment;
frequency/rotation of courses; some user-friendly website adjustments
- matters of process, mostly for new assessment co-ordinator
Charge for GEAC 2010-11
- change SLOs assessed to learn something new
- modify timeline or use separate deadlines for Fall/Spring courses
- include new Assessment Co-ordinator
- ask dept.s about making changes in course from assessment, if using
Task for GEC: report to FS & dept.s: What are we doing w/data? Who is reviewing/using data?
Work for next Spring:
- determine “whether a course is meeting an SLO” – what’s your cut-off?
(data from other univ.s help?)
- what to do w/courses in GE not being offered
- clarify request f/NCA – what’s YOUR [its] definition of whether GE program
is working? Why is change necessary?
Meeting adjourned at 4:52pm
Notes compiled by T. Pribek