Meeting of the Faculty Senate
General Education Committee
325 Main Hall
February 1, 2010
Meeting convened at 3:35pm, Galbraith presiding
Attending: Michael Current, Anne Galbraith, Tom Gendreau, Jean
Hindson, Gerald Iguchi, James Pierce, Tom Pribek, Robert Ragan,
Note: Kara Z., student rep., has resigned to finish studies &
graduate this Spring
Guests & Consultants: Chris Bakkum, Amelia Dittman, Bob Hoar,
Tim Walls, Kathy Eirschele
M/S/P, minutes of 12/7/09; voice vote, unanimous
- FS approved "tiering" recommendation
- inquiry about waiving 1 GE credit for transfer student
graduating this Spring: course substitution form? Take another
class? (most common practices)
Demo electronic (website) versions of LX forms
- only for new forms, including course revisions
- all forms should submit to Records & Reg. first, not GE
- dept.s will email the "official" document to R&R;
only the signature form will be hardcopy
- needs software to enter data, but not to read; cut & paste
into fields is possible (could send complete entries to R&R ADA
rather than buy individual software licenses)
- entries for Learning Objectives in drop-down list
- does Provost/VC want to sign form?
- links on form to appropriate GE information/directions
- dept. chairs have been briefed & demoed
Don S. requested the food be passed around
Assessment plans going forward:
- student performance breakdown for courses/SLOs;
- what does it mean to "be done"? to decide acceptable level?
- grant money (given-back last year to budget cuts) re-available?
announce in March, perhaps ask for tool for different SLO?
ask for feedback from instructors indicating change in pedagogy?
Develop tool for underrepresented SLOs"?
- no formal idea/discussion of how Ass. Co-ordinator will fit
into GE; we should make request, probably will be advisory;
we don't want outside entity to assess GE program instead of us
- get comparative data f/other universities
- primary comparison is our own tests over years & possible
variations in results
Meeting adjourned by 5pm,
Notes compiled by Tom P.