Meeting of the Faculty Senate
General Education Committee
325 Main Hall
April 5, 2010
Meeting convened at 3:35pm, Galbraith presiding
Present: Michael Current, Anne Galbraith, Tom Gendreau, Gerald
Iguchi, Riley Moore, James Pierce, Tom Pribek, Bob Ragan, Don
Excused: Jean Hindson
Guests & Consultants: Troy Richter, Amelia Dittman, Kathleen Enz Finken
M/S/P, with clarification for describing students' options for GE
· Starting this fall for new students, a minimum grade of “C” is required in ENG 110 (or 112 for those who take that) to satisfy the Literacy requirement. (this is a change from the BC grade previously required). Further, there is no composition requirement beyond ENG 110 or 112.
· Students no longer earn credit for ENG 110 with scores of 3 and 4 on the AP English test.
Kathleen Enz Finken, to comment on Higher Learning Commission
evaluation of GE, & GEC discussion
- HLC apparently wants evidence of change in response to assessment,
perhaps similarity to more common "scaffolded" program; ass. we have
now is limited to an SLO
- GEC process: next, verify SLOs all covered by assessment
- our new assessment person beginning work soon, can consult
with GEC on addressing HLC concerns
- could we add something broader than a course SLO, like "our
six main goals"?
- GEC maybe half-way through a review of "program itself"
1. Major work of several years was SLO
2. Now, collecting data on courses that are supposed to
3. Query: Do we match targets/goals to process? And If we
address everything, what do we do with that finding?
4. Is revision needed for targets/intentions, the breadth of
program goals, or implementation?
- we need a justification of the essential quality of GE at UWL:
lots of credits, with very liberal student choice
- GE is cost effective & funds major programs; any change could
double or triple cost, and resources just aren't going to follow
- can we attribute success (applications, retention,
employment) to GE?
- must demonstrate that we/re changing for improvement, that
we're not standing still; we have "nothing numerical" for that
Meeting adjourned at 4:42pm
Notes compiled by Pribek