Minutes of the Instructional Academic Staff Committee
Friday, October 2, 2009
1:00 p.m. 323 C. Wimberly Hall
Present: Lisa Caya, Elise Denlinger, Robert Eberle, Gail McCormick, Shelia Perkins, Paul Reuteman,
Laurie Strangman, and Kerrie Hoar, IAS Liaison
Absent: Sandra Sieck and Joseph Toce
1. M/S/A (6,0,0) to accept the minutes of the September 16th meeting
2. M/S/A (6,0,0) to approve the draft of the Consultative Layoff Committee policy
3. M/S/A (6,0,0) to approve the draft of the IAS Hearing Committee Procedures for Appeals of Non-Renewal Decisions
4. M/S/A (7,0,0) to approve the draft of the IAS Hearing Committee Bylaws with the amended wording change to page 4 of the document. Specifically, the word “instructional” was added to “academic staff” in the paragraph containing a description of the requirements for membership on the committee.
5. M/S/A (7,0,0) to approve the draft of Chapter 8, Unclassified Code of Ethics
6. M/S/A (7,0,0) to approve the draft of Chapter 9, Academic Staff Rules: Coverage and Delegation
7. M/S/A (6,0,0) to approve the draft of Chapter 10, Academic Staff Appointments, with the amended formatting changes and the wording change to UWL 10.01. Specifically, the sentence “Rolling horizon contracts and indefinite contracts are also an option.” was added immediately following the first sentence in this paragraph.
8. In the discussion of Chapter 10 it was noted that only two things originally asked for by this committee were not included in the current draft of the document. First, the committee had recommended that the phrase “renewal is not intended” be removed from fixed term terminal contracts. System legal, however, has stated that this phrase cannot be removed from this type of contract. Second, wording that would have placed a limit on the number of fixed term terminal contracts an academic staff member could receive was removed from the original draft of this chapter.
9. Discussion of Chapters 11, 12, and 13 was tabled until the next meeting.
10. Our next meeting will be held on Friday, October 9th, at 2:00 p.m. in the conference room on the first floor of Cowley Hall.
Meeting adjourned at 2:05 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Laurie Strangman