FACULTY SENATE LIBRARY COMMITTEE
MINUTES of the Meeting of Tuesday, October 13, 2009
PRESENT: William Ross, Anita Evans, Matt Foltz, Tim Gerber (chair), Sandra Koster, John Jax, Andy Schauer, Steve McDougal
Called to Order at 12:06 PM in Murphy Library Room 120.
Approval of Minutes:
M-S-C: To approve the minutes of Sept. 22, 2009 with two spelling corrections –
(a) Item 3(b), second line, “sites”
(b) Item 4, fourth line, “meeting”
Differential Tuition Proposal:
The proposal is due to the Academic Initiatives Oversight Committee (AIOC) on Fri., Oct. 16. A presentation to the AIOC is scheduled for Tue., Oct. 21, around 4:25pm in Cartwright Room 342. Tim and Anita will attend. Others are welcome.
The request is for $180,000 per year for the next five years, primarily to expand service hours (from the results of the LibQual survey) and to expand access to on-line resources. It mirrors last year’s AICO approvals of these things for $170,000, which were never approved by the Regents.
The proposal was reviewed, with Anita noting where updated statistics will be inserted. Several topics were discussed for addition:
(1) How library costs are going up as well;
(2) How library periodical holdings influence program accreditation, such as in CBA and Chemistry;
(3) Add statistics on JSTOR I to IV usage in support of adding JSTOR V and VI;
(4) How less access to on-line database increases the costs of document delivery;
(5) Information on the demand for full-text, especially where access is limited to abstracts;
(6) Make clearer how this proposals both maintains and expands on-line access;
(7) How new programs – especially health-related programs – relate to increased demand for access to specialized databases, such as the JAMA database;
(8) Explain how access and license fees are tied to enrollment, and thus how GQ&A enrollment increases create extra costs;
(9) Suggested presenting statistics on library use during the current expanded hours as documentation of student need, offering the same as assessment mechanism;
(10) Emphasize that this allocation will restore staff cuts made earlier (see p.1 of the proposal); and
(11) On p.4, restate the expanded hours currently in place.
Tim and Anita will revise the proposal for the Friday deadline.
Adjourned at 1:00 PM.
NEXT MEETING: Monday, November 9, 2009, Murphy 120, 12:00 to 1:00 pm
Steve McDougal, Sec.