Minutes of the
Undergraduate Research Grant Committee
Meeting held on March 23, 2010
Present: Bonnie Bratina, Tony Docan-Morgan, Nicholas Downey, Nicole Johnson, Lalita Pandit Hogan, Tim Gongaware, Stephen Houk, Omar Rivera, Vijendra Agrawal
Guests: Emily Jacobson, Kathleen Enz Finken, Caitlin Lygy, Emily Wiltzius
Excused: Kathryn Birkeland, Katelynn Williams, Aric Opdahl, Gretchen Berns
- Meeting was called to order by Acting Chair Nick Downey at 4:00 PM
- Approval of February 8, 2010 minutes M/S/P
Introduction of Emily Jacobson
(Provost’s Office) and brief informational address by the Provost
- Emily Jacobsen working in the undergraduate research area
- Undergraduate research moved to Provost’s office
- Wants to enhance, market, and see growth in undergraduate research
- Asked the committee to think about the purpose of the Journal of Undergraduate Research
i. How can it be used as a marketing tool?
ii. What value does this publication have to the students?
Volunteers for judging at
- Need faculty judges from different colleges/schools
- Discussed appearance of flyer
- Discussed selection criteria for NCUR funding applications
- Discussed decision variables (i.e., one or multiple authors of one project receive funding, commit to same hotel, number and sex of students in the same room)
- Suggestion to submit an “intent to attend form” when submitting for NCUR.
i. Place on website in early fall
Journal of Undergraduate Research
- Two possibilities for student reports/submissions
i. Submission of final report
ii. Published quality manuscript (the Journal)
- Possibility of an online journal with some featured articles
i. Individual departments to be responsible for featured articles (i.e., selecting, editing).
- Possibility of winners of poster awards to give their poster presentation to the chancellor recorded for podcast on website. Also winners of talk awards to be recorded for podcasting.
- Motion to end the journal in the current format. M/S/P
- Discussion to draw up a step-by-step plan for the future outlet.
- Nomination for Nicholas Downey to be named Chair M/S/P
- Thirty-nine students and faculty members meeting Monday to talk about logistics for NCUR.
- Grant proposals may be too large of a file size to be emailed.
- Adjournment at 5:17 PM
Respectfully submitted by Recorder, Tony Docan-Morgan