August 16, 2010
To: Kathryn Birkeland, Convener
Undergraduate Research Committee
From: Becky LeDocq, Chair
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Undergraduate Research Committee for the 2010-2011 academic year.
In an effort to better orient new committee members and to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of committee work, the Senate Executive Committee (SEC) is incorporating the following ideas.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of conveners at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, September 1st in 327 Graff Main Hall. Please plan on attending this meeting if possible. If you are unable to attend, please send another representative from your committee. An agenda will follow.
- The SEC will be holding a meeting of Chairs during the week before classes in January. The purpose of this meeting will be for committee chairs to report on progress on charges to date and discuss any problems committees may be experiencing.
Per Faculty Senate Bylaw II. (s): “Each faculty committee shall hold an organizational meeting and report the name of the chairperson to the senate office by October 1. (Joint Chairpersons are not permitted.)”
Therefore, as the convener of the Undergraduate Research Committee, please arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting. In addition to a chairperson, please also elect a secretary.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
· promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
· organizing and conducting meetings.
· completing a year end report on the Undergraduate Research Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2011.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review Faculty Senate Bylaw II, “Faculty Standing Committees” for information on committee attendance and the role of alternates.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
· recording minutes of each meeting.
· promptly sending approved meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers.
In addition to the committee's normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
- Continue to monitor the effectiveness of the current funding guidelines.
- Continue, and report on, discussions of how to keep flexible in distributing funds to submitting students as well as concerns about maintaining organizational tracking of monies.
- Discuss and determine the feasibility of an on-line grant submission system. If deemed feasible, work with Emily Jacobson in the Provost's Office on developing this system. Please plan to provide a report to Faculty Senate at the February 17, 2011 meeting.
If you have any questions about the charges, please feel free to contact me.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.
cc: Undergraduate Research Committee Members