Lesson modules/plans developed by participating teachers
During the 2010-2011 school year, teachers who participated in this project began implementing the lesson plans they developed in the summer workshops. The School District of La Crosse graciously allowed participating schools to provide IT support to download the public domain mapping software into their computer labs for use by the teachers and students. The team of principle investigators want to acknowledge the School District of La Crosse's willingness to partner with the UW-L Department of Geography and Earth Science in such an important educational endeavor. These lesson modules are available to teachers for download. Please read the lesson plans carefully, as they will have pertinent information on which dataset files to use. While most of the datasets used in the Workshops are in the public domain, some (A Birdseye View, in particular) may be purchased from the National Council on Geographic Education (NCGE), the cost of this data CD is $25.
The following are some of the lesson modules developed by teachers who participated in the GeoED Workshops. Datasets required for these lesson plans can be found on the Datasets link on the left pane. We will be adding more modules as they become available.
- Joseph Angelhart's lesson module on Energy and Society
- Brian Olson's lesson plan on Ways of Incorporating Global Climate Change, Technologies, and GIS into an Eighth Grade Earth Science Classroom. Materials needed: GIS Basics Powerpoint, Guide for Hurricane GIS, Hurricane Informational Lesson Powerpoint, and Temperature and CO2 Trends Powerpoint.
Brownell/Gruen/Ziegler Lesson Plan on Integrating GIS,
GPS , and Global Climate Change into Logan High Science
. Materials needed: as listed in the lesson plan.
- Wiatt/Goetsch/Hass Lesson Plan on Introduction to the GPS System and Global Warming/Climate Change Concepts Using the Local Natural Environment to Address 2nd and 5th grade Science Curricula and Standards. Materials needed: as listed in the lesson plan.
- Douglas Dannhoff's Lesson Plan on Effects of Climate Change (increase/decrease of water temperature) on the Dissolved Oxygen Content of the Mississippi River in the La Crosse Area. Materials needed: Birdseye View CD, available for purchase from NCGE ($25).
- Gwen Parr's Lesson Plan on Incorporating GPS, Global Climate Change, and GIS into an Eighth Grade Science/Reading Classroom. Materials needed: as listed in the lesson plan.
- Pao Xiong's Lesson Plan on Out West Adventure. Materials needed: as listed in the lesson plan.