Workshop Mapping Software & Instruction
The following are links for downloading the public domain mapping software:
- Advanced GIF Animator: http://www.gif-animator.com/
- ArcExplorer Java Edition for Education (AEJEE): http://edcommunity.esri.com/software/aejee/#download
- DNR Garmin: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html
- Flex Projector: http://www.flexprojector.com/
- Google Earth: http://www.google.com/intl/en/earth/index.html
The following tutorials were used for selected software applications:
- Introduction to AEJEE 2.3.2
- Introductory GIS activities with ArcExplorer Java Edition for Education (AEJEE) Version 2.3.2
- Working with the Garmin eTrex Legend H GPS Units and Importing GPS waypoints and tracks into a GIS
- How to create your own Google Map in PDF format (http://maps.google.com/support/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=21670&topic=21676&from=21676&rd=2)
- How to geo-tag your own photograph on Google Map in PDF format (http://www.extension.org/pages/9681/how-to-geotag-and-display-pictures-in-google-earth)
- Using ArcMap to create KML files for Google Earth. Teachers should consult with mapping professional for the use of ArcMap.
- How to create animations in Advanced GIF Animator.
- Flex Projector was not used much during our workshops, but it is a very intuitive and interactive program for teaching map projections.