Protocol Review Process
ANY USE OF VERTEBRATE ANIMALS MUST BE REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE IACUC BEFORE A PROJECT IS INITIATED.
- Use this form for all animal use proposals and three-year renewals.
- Fill out all of the questions on this form completely.
- Attach the appropriate appendices.
Protocols involving biological / chemical / radioactivity / recombinant DNA
- Refer to the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) guidelines.
- Approval for animal protocols involving hazardous biological or chemical substances, radioactive, or recombinant DNA will NOT be extended until the IACUC receives approval from the IBC.
- It is recommended that you send your completed application to the IACUC Administrator at IACUC@uwlax.edu for a pre-review to prevent delays during the review process.
- This should be done approximately two weeks before the protocol submission deadline.
- Deadline - first business day of the month
- Submit the completed forms to IACUC@uwlax.edu prior to the submission deadline for review at that month's IACUC meeting.
- The committee meets the second week of the month.
The IACUC Administrator will withhold final approval of your protocol until the following two requirements have been met:
- All research personnel working with animals must enroll in the Occupational Health and Safety Program.
- All research personnel working with animals must review and pass all applicable online training tutorials.
- The protocol will be reviewed on an annual basis for two years.
- At the end of the third approval year, the protocol will expire and will need to be resubmitted to IACUC for approval consideration.
Changes in methods, number of animals, or personnel
- Any changes to an approved protocol require the submission of a protocol amendment form.
- Changes may not be implemented prior to IACUC review and approval.
- Amendment forms: