The University, the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and individual investigators share a collective responsibility to ensure that research and instruction involving animals is guided by the highest ethical standards and is conducted in compliance with the federal, state, and university regulations governing such use. Ongoing education and training in the humane care and use of laboratory animals is a federal requirement. Enhanced oversight by federal regulatory agencies and best practice standards has required actions to strengthen the training components of the animal care and use program.
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) is a web-based training program that was developed to provide required information on the humane care and use of animals as mandated by federal regulations. Required content depends on the user, the animal species involved, and the procedures to be performed. All personnel listed on an animal use protocol and all IACUC members must complete the required CITI training before working with the animals or serving on the IACUC.
Registering for a CITI Program Training Account
Note: if you already have a CITI account and just need to add the Animal Care and Use Curriculum, go to your main page and select "Add a Course or Learner Groups". This will allow you to enroll in the Animal Care and Use training program.
- Go to the CITI Registration page. Under "Select Your Organization Affiliation", type "Wisconsin" in the box and then select University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Click on "Continue to Step 2".
- Enter your first name, last name, and email address. Enter your name here as you would like it to appear on your completion reports. Click on "Continue to Step 3".
- Choose a username, password, and security question. Click on "Continue to Step 4".
- Enter demographic information and click on "Continue to Step 5".
- Click "NO" when asked if you want to request Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credits. The second question in this step asks your preference in participating in research surveys at a later date. Click on "Continue to Step 6".
- Complete the personal information requested. For your Department, students should use the faculty member's name for whom they will be working; faculty and staff should use the name of their department. For the Role in Research, choose a role that is most appropriate for your involvement with animal research. Click on "Continue to Step 7".
- You will be asked to select your curriculum. Scroll down to Question 5, "Animal Care and Use" and follow the instructions.
Instructions for Completing the Required CITI Animal Care and Use Training Courses
- After you have selected your curriculum and have enrolled in the Learner Group appropriate to your role in Animal Research, you will be taken to the Main Menu page. This page lists the courses you are required to take.
- Click the title of each course to begin or continue the course. Start with the "Animal Welfare Training" course first.
- Complete the Integrity Assurance Statement presented at the top of each course. The system will allow you to start taking the course modules after completing it.
- Complete the required modules and associated
- The minimum "passing" aggregate score for the quizzes is 80%. A running tally is compiled in the grade book. If you want to improve a score on a quiz, you may repeat that quiz. However, scores obtained after a completion report has been issued will not be reflected on the completion report.
- When you complete each module successfully, a Completion Report will be sent automatically to the IACUC Administrator. You may print your completion report for records but this is not required.
You may also submit a voluntary, anonymous user satisfaction survey.
General questions should be addressed to IACUC@uwlax.edu.
Technical issues with the CITI website should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 305.243.7970.