UW-L is committed to training our students to be the professional researchers of today and tomorrow. In that spirit, it is essential that student researchers are aware of the ethical considerations related to the responsible conduct of all research.
UW-L has chosen the Responsible Conduct of Research Program, created by the Center on Materials and Devices for Information Technology Research, as our ethical training tool for all students who receive a UW-L research grant. This training is housed on the NSF Ethics CORE website. Please see the first time registration instructions prior to registering.
This webpage is particularly for students who have received an Undergraduate Research and Creativity Grant or a Graduate Research, Services, and Educational Leadership (RSEL) grant. If you are completing RCR training because you will be or are working on NSF funded research, the information below will be useful for completing the "Rights and Obligations" Module. The remaining information you will need is located on the RCR for NSF webpage.
- How do I register?
- Which module(s) should I complete?
- When should I complete the RCR module?
- How long will it take to complete?
- What happens if I don't complete the RCR module?
- Do I still have go through IRB?
- Do I still have to go through Biosafety (IBC), Animal Care (IACUC), and/or other compliances on campus?
- What should I do if I'm having difficulties with the RCR site?
- How do I know if I have completed the required training?
- Where can I find information about Undergraduate Research and Creativity Grants or Graduate Research, Service, and Educational Leadership (RSEL) grants?
- Go to http://nationalethicscenter.org/register
- Complete the following sections on the "Create New Account" page
- Login information - be sure to use the name with which you are registered at UW-L (no nicknames)
- Contact information - be sure to use your UW-L email account
- Personal information
- Employment Status - select the appropriate status
- Organization or School - DO NOT SELECT OR PUT ANYTHING IN HERE
- Reason for Account - select "Required for Class"
- You should receive an indication that your account has been created and that you need to activate your account by clicking on a link in an email that you receive.
- Follow the link provided and log into the ethics training. Now you are registered on the site. Log out.
- Click on this link http://nationalethicscenter.org/index.php?option=com_rcrtutorial.
- Click on "RCR User Account Registration" under "New Users".
- Select your Academic Department.
- Under "What Group are you affiliated with?" select "UW-La Crosse - Research & Sponsored Programs" from the drop down menu.
- Select register.
- You may complete your Module 1 training at this time, or return at any time by clicking on the link at the top of the page or the link in #5.
Module 1 is required for:
- Students receiving Undergraduate Research Grants
- Students receiving Graduate Research, Service and Educational Leadership (RSEL) Grants
- Students doing work (both paid and unpaid) on NSF funded research. Those students should click here for additional information and requirements.
- Students will have a limited time window from their award notification date to complete the training. Therefore, it is recommended that students complete the training before or shortly after submitting their grant. Please see "What happens if I don't complete the RCR module?"
- About an hour.
- Students awarded Undergraduate Research Grants or Graduate RSEL Grants will not receive any portion of their grant unless the training is completed by the deadline specified in their award letter.
- YES. IRB is a legal requirement mandated by federal law if research involves human subjects. RCR is not a substitute for any other required compliance measure. (additional information on IRB)
Do I still have to go through Biosafety (IBC), Animal Care (IACUC), and/or other compliances on campus?
- YES. RCR is not a substitute for any other federally mandated compliance measure. (additional information on federally mandated compliances)
- Having problems finding the modules? If you can't find the modules, please go to the main page for our training http://nationalethicscenter.org/index.php?option=com_rcrtutorial.
- Usernames cannot be changed. Password resets must be done through the regular online system. ORSP can no longer update these for you.
- Having problems viewing the topics within the modules? If so,
please click on the "Support Tab" near the top of the screen. Click
on "Report a Problem".
- Please note that the help desk is staffed 8 am - 4 pm CST, Monday through Friday. It is not staffed on weekends or holidays. During busy times, it may take 1 or 2 business days to get a response. Do not wait until the last day to complete the training.
- When students have reached the end of the module, they will view a clear indication that they have completed that section. It will be a starburst shape indicating "Module 1 Complete" next to the module 1 topics list.
- If students are not certain, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs has access to completion records. Please email Chandra Hawkins at email@example.com with "RCR completion?" in the subject line.
Where can I find information about Undergraduate Research and Creativity Grants or Graduate Research, Service, and Educational Leadership (RSEL) grants?
- Undergraduate Research Grant information is located at http://www.uwlax.edu/urc/.
- Graduate RSEL Grant information is located at http://www.uwlax.edu/graduate/grantinfo.htm.