Data Available on the Shared Files (O Drive)
University data are available to UW-La Crosse employees staff on the university shared files (O drive). This webpage provides basic information to orient the user to the parameters associated with accessing and using the data. The data most users access provides an overview of terms or fiscal years by college/department/total reflecting aspects of enrollment, headcount, student credit hour (SCH) production and workload information.
- HOW TO ACCESS THE DATA: For instruction on accessing the shared files visit http://www.uwlax.edu/itssupport/onlinehelp/olfcabinet.htm. Once the drive is mapped, files can be found at \\uwlstore\OLFCabinet\Provost\Public Files\UW La Crosse\Provost\University Data.
STRUCTURE OF THE DIRECTORIES: There are directories that contain data for each of the last several fiscal years.
- Fiscal years run from July 1 – June 30 and are “named” for the year they end in; for example, July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2008 is FY2008, which also corresponds to academic year 2007-08.
- For files that are are term specific they often include the term in the file name in fiscal year + term designator format.
- The first four digits will reflect the fiscal year for the data and the last digit will reflect the term
- 1 = summer,
- 4 = fall,
- 6 = intersession, and
- 7 = spring.
- EXAMPLE: 20084 represents Fall 2007.
STRUCTURE OF THE SUBDIRECTORIES Within each FY directory, the data is separated by content; the four subdirectories of most interest are enrollment, personnel & workload, SCH production, and APR data For each of these subdirectories, specific detail is provided below.
- Enrollment – contains files and data on Fall term enrollment, headcount (HC) and full-time equivalencies (FTE).
- Term-by-Term Enrollment Tally comparison files created weekly during registration periods comparing HC and FTE enrollment for the current term to the same term the previous fiscal year. For the most part, only budget-official students are included in these tallies. They are not intended to be official, but are provided as a monitoring and tracking tool during registration periods.
- Day of Record enrollment files for Fall terms
- As our official reporting term is Fall, I typically only produce a full set of DOR Enrollment tables for Fall term; if there is sufficient need for either a full set or subset of Enrollment Tables for other terms, these can be added.
- 200XX DOR Enrollment Tables contain total university HC & FTE enrollment broken out by a large variety of variables, including student class standing, entrance status, residence status, fee status, gender, race/ethnicity, credit load, and college. Graduate student counts includes students enrolled in off-campus Teacher Professional Development Programs. Starting with FY2008, DOR enrollment was “corrected” to code students coming from MN with the Minnesota Reciprocity fee status in anticipation that most, if not all, such students will file for and receive reciprocity.
- 200XX DOR Graduate Student Tables contain total university HC & FTE enrollment for all graduate students, again broken out by several variables, including most of those in the Enrollment Tables plus Continuing Education status, GRC799 status, and graduate program.
- 200XX DOR New Student Tables contain data on all new students entering UW-L in that term, both new freshmen and transfers. The tables provide information on the pre-college preparation (high school rank and ACT scores) of new students as well as many of the variables included in the Enrollment Tables.
- Personnel & Workload – contains data on department and college instructional FTE (IFTE) and SCH production for the purposes of determining instructional workload.
- SCHIFTE FY1998 to 200XX w AcYrAvg contains University, college, and department instructional workload (SCH/IFTE) by term and year with an academic year (Fall & Spring terms) average.
- CUPA/HR Salary Comparison files are not available in University Data due to the proprietary nature of the data; if you need access to the CUPA/HR data, please contact me directly.
- In the years that we participate in the National Study of Instructional Costs and Productivity (“the Delaware Study”), there will be an additional Directory within Personnel & Workload with relevant reports from the study.
- SCH Production – contains files and data on college & department term-by-term SCH production, including a weekly tracking report produced during registration for each term..
- Term-by-Term SCH production comparison files created weekly during registration periods comparing SCH production by UDDS and college for the current term to the same term the previous fiscal year. For the most part, only GPR102-funded courses are included in these data. They are not intended to be official, but are provided as a monitoring and tracking tool during registration periods.
- Day of Record SCH Tables show college and department level SCH production broken out by course level and General Education SCH.
- For past years when SCH targets have been set, there will also be files showing comparisons of target-to-actual SCH production by college
- APR UDS – contains Academic Program Review Unit Data Sheets created for departments/units that are up for review during that fiscal year.
To suggest website additions or changes, send us your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.