2012 Fall Jazz Ensembles Audition
Thanks for your interest in auditioning for the UW-L Jazz Ensembles.
This page contains everything you need to know about the audition process.
Saxophones and Brass - Tues. Sept. 4th 2:15 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Rhythm Section (piano, guitar, bass, drums) Wed. Sept. 5th 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Download the file for your instrument.
- Prepare the music to the best of your abilities, the suggested tempo is marked however perform the selection at the tempo in which you sound the best.
- Sign up for an audition time on jazz bulletin board - Room 56 CFA.
- Play with a steady tempo in the appropriate style with good jazz articulations.
- In addition to the excerpt:
a. Brass play a Bb concert scale in 16th notes to demonstrate range.
b. Saxes play a Bb concert scale slured in 16th notes.
c. Drums will be asked to play in other common styles (Samba,Bossa Nova, Funk, R&B) as well as various swing tempos.
d. Piano, Bass and Guitar you will be asked to walk or comp. over a chord progression in various styles.
- Sight read short examples of Big Band music.
- Improvisation is optional for most but required for a jazz chair, players should play on one of the following; blues in F, G, Bb, Rhythm Changes.
Click on your instrument below to download a PDF file of the audition music.
Brass players select the part that is best for your range.
|Alto and Bari Sax||Tenor Sax|
|Trumpet 1||Trumpet 2|
|Trombone 1||Trombone 2|
Jazz Band Rehearsal Schedule
Jazz II MW, Th 3:20 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Jazz I Tues. 3:30 - 5:00 ; Thur. 4:30 - 5:30 and Fri. 3:20 - 4:50
DO NOT BE CONCERNED ABOUT CLASS CONFLICTS
For assistance with class conflicts contact Dr. Balfany or Ms. Quinn.
The first rehearsal for Jazz I will be on Friday, September 7th.
Jazz II will start rehearsals on Monday, September 10.
If you have questions or concerns or just want to talk jazz, call or stop by the week before classes.
Center for the Arts Room 238, (608)785-8410 Office, (608)317-5607 cell
Center for the Arts Room 133, (608)785-6727 Office, (608)780-3189 cell