Japanese Language Studies
UWL is proud to participate in the UW System Collaborative Language Program in order to offer Japanese. For more information, please visit the CLP website.
Did You Know
- Japan has the second-largest economy in the world. Japan's population is almost one-half that of the US but the area they live on is smaller than California. It’s surprising how such a small country can have the second-largest economy!
- Japanese innovations are everywhere. Think of everything we’ve gotten from Japan! Who hasn’t heard of Pokemon or Nintendo?
- Japanese traditional/modern/pop culture is world renowned. A large portion of Japan’s history was spent in isolation, which allowed them to develop
an incredibly unique culture! Isn’t it cool to be able to understand what they are saying in anime, video games, and J-pop?
- Learning Japanese helps improve your ability to problem solve and other brain functions. Learning a language not only helps you think about your native language and culture, but also opens your mind to learning in all other areas. Check out the numerous benefits of
being a bilingual!
- Learning Japanese gives you opportunities most of your peers don’t have. In English speaking countries, European languages are typically the 2nd language of
choice. Knowing Japanese sets you apart from everyone else!
Why learn Japanese?
Ten excellent reasons to study Japanese
Japanese Course Offerings
- Japanese 101 (fall semesters)
- Japanese 102 (spring semesters)
- Japanese 201 (fall semesters)
- Japanese 202 (spring semesters)
Japanese Program Offerings
- Japanese two-year course of study fulfilling the College of Liberal Studies requirements for a BA degree
- Opportunities to study abroad
- Opportunity to teach English in Japan through the Guy Healy Program
Those who have studied Japanese before elsewhere need to take a placement test for the appropriate course placement. Please contact the instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org