Borrowing: Why a Request May Fail
Failure during the Placement of a Request
A request may fail for the
- The item requested is not eligible for this service, e.g., reference book, item on reserve.
- Specific title was not selected from title list before request was made.
- The item requested is already checked out to another patron.
- Your patron record has been blocked. Some reasons for blocked records are:
- An item you have checked out has been recalled by another patron and is overdue.
- Your ID has been blocked because your patron record or address has expired.
- You have more than $5 in fines and fees at Murphy Library.
Failure After a Successful Placement of a
After placing a request and receiving the
message "Your request was successful", you may be notified by
library staff that your request cannot be filled. The reason
will accompany the notice and also will appear in your patron
The following are reasons a request cannot be filled:
- The item you requested is checked out.
- The item you requested is not eligible for this service, e.g., condition of the item.
- The item cannot be found on the shelf. You may wish to request another copy if available from another UW campus or place
an interlibrary loan request.
- The item is on reserve for a course and is ineligible for this service.
Problems or questions?
Contact Circulation at 608-785-8507 or email