As outlined in the Murphy Library Mission/Values statement at http://www.uwlax.edu/murphylibrary/about/mission.html, the library staff is committed to supporting research, teaching and public service. We expect all users to conduct themselves in a manner that does not disturb other patrons, disrupt the operation of the library or cause damage to the library, its equipment and materials. Users and visitors are also expected to abide by all relevant University policies as well as local, state and federal laws.
Relating to library patrons and their environment:
- Creating a disturbance or behaving in a manner which interferes with normal use of the library (including rowdiness, noise, and offensive interpersonal behavior)
- Using threatening, intimidating, or abusive language or behavior towards patrons or staff
- Possession of alcohol or illegal substances within the library
- Overt signs of substance abuse, including drunkenness
- Smoking or tobacco use
- Engaging in any sexual activities, including, but not limited to, exposure, offensive touching, or sexual harassment of patrons or library staff
- Possessing a weapon or hazardous substance
- Discourteous and disruptive use of cell phones and audio equipment. Please limit cell phone use to the lobby in the library as a courtesy to others.
- Tying up library resources by leaving personal belongings unattended at computer stations, in group study rooms or other study areas for extended periods of time.
- Consuming food in regulated areas (or drinks not in spillproof containers). See Food and Drink Policy.
- Soliciting, petitioning, selling or displaying items for sale
- Disturbing others with strong odors, e.g., perfumes, alcohol, personal hygiene
- Bringing animals in the library unless they are certified assistance animals
- For their safety and well-being, children should be accompanied by a parent or adult and should not be left unsupervised. Parents, not UW-L Murphy Library, are responsible for their children’s use of the library, including access to electronic resources.
Relating to library building, equipment and the collections:
- Misuse of restrooms
- Obstructing use of library equipment or facilities, or denying access to library materials through theft or deliberate misplacement
- Defacing, damaging, mutilating or destroying library property or equipment, including altering or tampering with library computers. See Mutilation/Theft Policy.
- Violating University and Library rules regarding computer use
- Failing to adhere to copyright laws
- Opening emergency exits or setting off security and/or emergency alarms except in emergency situations
- Filming or taping any area or room, staff or patron without the permission of the
Murphy Library Administrative Office or public services staff
- Being in unauthorized areas of the Library, remaining in the Library after closing or when requested to leave during emergencies
- Skating, including use of skates, skateboards, inline skates and scooters. Bicycles may not be parked in building
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse students, faculty and staff have priority over all other library users for access to library collections, services, and facilities.
Library personnel have the authority to enforce this policy. Anyone who violates this policy will be so informed and asked to stop the offensive conduct and/or leave the facility. Library users shall show identification when requested to do so by Library personnel when they identify themselves and state the reason for their request. Library staff reserves the right to inspect bags, etc. if the security system is set off.
Patrons may be asked to leave the library, lose their library privileges and /or be subject to disciplinary or legal action as appropriate. Campus police will be called when necessary. The Library will pursue any misconduct through campus disciplinary channels as stated in UW System Administrative Code UWS Chapter 17. Where appropriate, infractions may be referred to local, state or federal law enforcement officials.
You have a right to feel safe in Murphy Library. Please report any suspicious behavior and/or activities to the Circulation desk immediately.