Places and Spaces: A History of Public Buildings, Bridges and Parks In LaCrosse, Wisconsin
|UW-L Author:||Leslie F. Crocker
Professor Emeritus - Art Department
Crocker, Lesile F. Places and Spaces: A History of Public Buildings, Bridges and Parks In LaCrosse, Wisconsin. La Crosse, WI: Self Published, 2012.
Places and Spaces: A century of public buildings, bridges and parks in La Crosse, Wisconsin includes the history of 79 La Crosse buildings, sites and structures, beginning with the first County Courthouse in 1851 and ending with the 12th fire station from 1956. Places and Spaces features 12 fire stations, 10 parks, seven bridges, three jails, three courthouses, two city halls, two bath houses and diverse other examples including several grottos and gazebos. Author Les Crocker, researched newspaper articles, history books on La Crosse written in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and collected photos from UW-L’s Murphy Library archives and the public library archives. He has also shot more than 4,000 images of La Crosse buildings since 1971.
About the Author
Dr. Leslie F. Crocker taught at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse from 1969 through 2001 and is Professor Emeritus of Art History.He has also taught at the University of Wisconsin-Copenhagen, Denmark campus and at Viterbo University in La Crosse. In the community, he was president of the La Crosse County Historical Society and was a founder of the La Crosse Area Society for Historic Preservation, now known as the Preservation Alliance League. He served as local host for a statewide convention of preservationists sponsored by the Wisconsin State Preservation Office. He has written various articles, reports and surveys of La Crosse architecture and given many talks on the subject to community groups as well as advising several city council committees.
Dr. Crocker discusses La Crosse Architecture every week on his website lacrossebuildings.com.