Stefan Smith, Outreach Librarian
Hi! Welcome to outreach at Murphy Library.
Outreach is a one-person department here, but
everyone in the library is involved in outreach
in one way or another.
What do I do as outreach librarian? In
addition to being a librarian, which entails
working at the reference desk, teaching library
instruction classes, participating in shared
governance of the library department, and all
the other things that keep us all busy, other
- Manage overall publicity for the
library, including media, email campaigns,
written communications, graphics, etc.
- Manage the
librarian/residence hall program. This
matches librarians to residence halls so
that students in halls have a personal
contact at the library.
- Manage most library publications
including writing weekly columns for
Racquet and the
Campus Connection, editing the
Fine Print newsletter.
- Manage a few library-wide programs such
Faculty House Calls Service and
Faculty Department Visits.
- Work with other librarians to develop resources for specific
populations such as
current faculty, and
- Meet with dozens of classes each year as
a part of the library's
Information Literacy Instruction
- Create graphics such as for the library
home page, the
READ Posters, etc.
- Assist librarians with publicity,
graphics, and websites for things they want